Orca can compare configurations between nodes or between points-in-time on the same node. There are two ways to compare configurations:
- Using the Compare To button
- Using the Compare Results page.
Use Orca’s “Compare To” feature in the following situations:
- You want to compare on demand (not on a schedule).
- You want to compare all the configuration data within a node between points-in-time. Example: compare my WAS node’s configuration from today to the same node’s configuration a week ago for all configuration items.
- You want to compare all the configuration data between nodes that have the same config path structure. Example: I have two WAS nodes that have the same cell names, JDBC resource names, application server names, etc. and I want to compare the differences between them.
To use “Compare To”, go to your node and click on the Config Data tab. Click Compare To in the gray banner.
Choose the node you want to compare against. If you want to compare against a different point-in-time on the same node, select the same node you’re currently working with.
Within this modal, only select ONE node. The node you’re comparing against will always be the node you’re currently viewing. This is the node you selected “Compare To” from.
Click Compare to Selected Node. The next screen shows all configuration differences between the options selected. If the same node was chosen to compare against, the default screen will say the revisions are identical. Simply select a previous inventory from the drop down at the top to compare between different points in time.
Use Orca’s “Compare Results” feature in the following situations:
- You want Orca to execute the comparison automatically so the report is ready any time you need to view it.
- You potentially have hundreds or thousands of expected differences between the configurations. The Compare Results area uses an Orca Engine to run the comparison and can handle larger amounts of differences than the “Compare To” page.
- You want granular control over which configurations returned within an inventory should be compared. For example, you only want to compare WAS application servers; not the entire WAS configuration structure.
- You want to compare configuration data between nodes that have different config path structures. Example: I have two WAS nodes that have different cell names, JDBC resource names, application server names, etc. and I want to compare the differences between them.
To use “Compare Results”, go to the Reporting slide out and click on the Compare Results tab. Click Add in the gray banner.
Provide the following information:
- Name – A friendly name that will be visible on the Compare Results page. An example: Compare WAS Dev to WAS UAT.
- Subscribers – The teams that should be notified when a Compare Result has completed.
- Results – The number of comparison results to keep.
- Apply Ignore Rules – When compliance rules are present to ignore drift for certain configuration items, selecting this box will also ignore those configuration items in the returned report.
- Selected Nodes to Compare – Choose the two nodes to compare using the provided links.
After selecting the nodes to compare, the current configuration data will appear in the Config Data area at the bottom of the page. Select all or some of the data to compare.
When finished configuring the report, click Save in the gray banner. To execute the Compare Result, go to the Compare Results tab, hover over the comparison you want to run, and click Execute.
There are many concepts not discussed in this guide, including approvals, role based access control, administrative functions, and more. For more information, please visit the Orca User Guide by clicking on the Docs link in the Orca banner in the Orca Console.